If you are a Lenovo user, then you might come across the default boot device missing error frequently. Because of the incorrect boot sequence or order, you might face this startup error in your Lenovo device. Sometimes, the BIOS settings are incorrect and it can lead you to this issue.
If the hard disk drive failed, then you might encounter this error. Sometimes, in your PC, if something has gone wrong, then for that reason too, you might see this error message in the startup screen. Hard drive firmware can also be the reason behind the occurrence of this error.
If you are one of them who is facing Lenovo default boot device missing error, then go through this article till the end to resolve this issue with a few manual tweaks.
How to Fix the Lenovo Boot Manager Failed Issue?
When you change something in the BIOS settings of your Lenovo PC, it can be the reason behind this error. To fix this error, click on the BIOS on Startup. Then change a little thing in the Settings. Now, perform the following steps to fix the Lenovo boot manager failed issue.
- When you restart your PC, you will notice an initial startup screen and the screen is attached to the Lenovo logo.
- Now, enter the BIOS setup and for that, press on the F2 button.
- You should know that the actual key varies from the different Lenovo models. But for most of the Lenovo laptops, the actual key is F2.
- Navigate to the BIOS setup menu. There click on the Boot tab and then hit the Enter button.
- Next, the boot order needs to be checked.
- After that, check if your PC’s hard drive is in the first slot or not. Sometimes, you might find that it is not in the first slot. Then, make sure that you swap the order of boot devices to set it to the first slot.
- Now, the Boot Mode needs to be highlighted and then hit the Enter button.
- Thereafter, make sure that you swapped from UEFI to the Legacy Support.
- Under that option, you need to swap UEFI to Legacy first.
- After going to the Exit tab, make sure that you have highlighted the Exit saving changes.
- In the end, hit the Enter button and then don’t forget to restart your laptop.
Hopefully, after applying these steps successfully, you will be able to fix the Lenovo default boot device missing error without any hassle.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to fix boot order?
Ans: Here are the steps that you need to follow to fix the boot order.
- After opening the BIOS, click on the Boot tab.
- Make sure that your hard disk drive is in the first option.
- Now, you have to save the changes and then reboot your PC.
How to add boot options to the BIOS?
Ans: Sometimes, you might need to add boot options to the BIOS. To do so, go through the steps cited below.
- At UEFI, make sure that you have selected Boot mode.
- After that, you need to turn off the Secure Boot set.
- Navigate to the “Boot” tab in the BIOS to click on the Add Boot option.
- Now, a new window will appear with a ‘blank’ boot option name.
- Make sure that you have changed the name to “CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive”.
- Next, save the settings by pressing the F10 key and then restarting the system.
How to reset the computer BIOS without turning it on?
Ans: You can reset the computer BIOS without turning it on. To do that, you need to replace the CMOS battery by performing the following steps.
- Initially, turn off your system and then make sure that you have removed the power cord.
- At that time, check whether you are grounded or not.
- After finding the battery on your motherboard, then just remove that.
- Now, wait for 5 to 10 minutes and then put the battery back in.
- In the end, connect the power cord to power on your PC.
How to change the boot order in the UEFI?
Ans: Here are the steps that you need to perform to change the boot order in the UEFI.
- After opening the System Utilities screen, click on the System Configuration option.
- Thereafter, go to the BIOS or Platform Configuration (RBSU) and then click on the Boot Options.
- Next, make sure to select the UEFI Boot Order and then hit the Enter button.
- Go to the boot order list with the help of the arrow keys.
- Now, press the + key. This will help you to move an entry higher in the boot list.
- Selecting the – key helps you to move an entry lower.
- Finally, press the F10 button.
How to reset your PC to the factory?
Ans: If you want to reset your PC to the factory settings, then follow the steps mentioned hereunder.
- From the right edge of the screen, tap on the Settings option.
- Now, tap on the Change PC settings.
- Go to the Update and Recovery option and click on the Recovery.
- After opening the Remove everything and Reinstall Windows options, click on the Get started.
- Finally, follow the on-screen instructions to reset the factory settings to your PC.